Sunday, February 12, 2012

Traveling Vegan on a Budget

Today I leave for a 5 day, 4 night trip to Memphis, partly to make moving arrangements, and partly to spend time with my boyfriend, who lives there. I will be staying in a hotel (long story). I also happen to be even more broke than usual right now. This should be interesting...

Eating vegan while traveling can be difficult. Eating vegan without a way to cook can be difficult. Eating vegan on a budget (of as close to $0 as is humanly possible) can be difficult. Eating vegan on a budget while traveling with no way to cook? Overwhelming to think about! At first.

I started by upgrading to a room with a mini fridge and microwave. The fridge, especially, will be a huge help. I figured out in advance when I will be going out to eat, picked restaurants, and found vegan options at each. Most, if not all of my dinners will be taken care of. My boyfriend's parents (of course, I'm visiting them too) have some vegan meals in the freezer and have been kind enough to offer them to me. Sweet! As a back up, I'm bringing protein/meal bars and several snack options just in case. That way, if I can't get enough to eat at their house, I don't have to worry about offending anyone (although I doubt they would be offended since they are understanding about me being vegan) or going to bed hungry. Plus, I eat small amounts all day anyway. I tend to have several snacks rather than 3 meals. For lunches, I'll be making hummus sandwiches with fresh veggies. I could eat that every day even without a good reason! For breakfast, I know I will be able to eat a few of the options provided by the hotel (fruit, plain bagel, etc), but I'm also bringing my own cereal, soy milk, and bananas. One thing to remember if you're traveling and plan to drink the hotel's coffee, it's highly unlikely that they will have a dairy free creamer available. I'm packing my own vanilla caramel flavored dairy free creamer because without my coffee, I'd be a zombie!

So after sitting down, thinking about it, and doing a little bit of planning, I discovered that traveling vegan on a budget can be done with ease!

No comments:

Post a Comment