Monday, February 20, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Chip Birthday Cookies

My birthday was Friday the 17th, but I had to work so my family celebrated on the 19th. I picked out a restaurant where I could create a vegan meal with sides: Cheddar's. Not crazy about the place and the service is always terrible Last night our very elderly waitress bumped into me every time she came to the table -- usually with her boobs, bulging stomach, or crotch region. She even hit me in the head with a plate once. At least it was all very laughable. Now that my review of Cheddar's is done, here's what I really came here for:

My aunt is famous for her baking abilities. She always makes birthday cakes for us. However, the cakes are far from vegan. So this year I decided I would give her a break and I would try making cookies for my birthday (I don't really care for cake anyway).

I didn't have the proper supplies so I made the cookies at my mom's house with her help. I'm also not a baker. I love to cook, but baking? I'd rather have second helpings of veggies or fruit than any sweets. So it was interesting. I was also running on very little sleep and going from there to an overnight shift at work. All that being said, I like the cookies! They don't taste exactly like Aunt ML's cookies, but I didn't expect them to. They're just different. The general consensus from family was, "They're different, but I like them." My dad even ate 2 (which may have only been for my benefit, but I love him for it).

I think I'd like to keep trying different recipes and maybe true egg replacement stuff instead of flax eggs, but I'm happy with the experience overall. It was a yummy learning experience. And for my birthday present, my mom and dad got me a mixer and a cookie sheet so I can make things at home. Maybe I'll even start baking more now!

Oh and the best part of the day was going wedding dress shopping with my matron-of-honor, "just to look" and finding (and buying) my wedding dress! :)

2 comments:

  1. A great egg substitute for eggs when baking is bananas. Eggs are generally just for binding and a mashed up banana will do the trick. Plus it adds another layer of flavor. Depending on the size of the banana it's usually 1 banana for 1 egg but I usually end up using 1.5

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO good to know, Shandi! Thanks!! I can't wait to try that!

    ReplyDelete